There are things in life that we all love, such as fudge, puppies, a great pair of shoes. And there are plenty of things we would all agree we hate, like housework, paper cuts, having to get out of a warm bed in the cold of night to go to the loo.
There are also some other things that make my list. I wonder how many of these you’d agree with?
Things I love
- when people walk into doors. I mean, as long as they’re not seriously hurt, that just makes me giggle like a nerd.
- any time in a movie when an actor gets unexpectedly hit in the face by something. Hmm, I’m sounding like a violent person here but I just love good slapstick.
- when you find a most excellent something in someones hard rubbish. My most recent find was a pair of excellent condition Adirondack chairs!
- lying in bed at night, all cosy under the duvet listening to a heavy rain storm outside on your tin roof.
- when I get an email from a distant friend, telling me what they’ve been up to lately. Or even an old fashioned letter! Both are rare treats.
- when an online purchase shows up in my mail box and it was everything it promised to be and more.
- walking on floors, barefoot, after they’ve been vacuumed and mopped.
- that brief moment when all the laundry is done and there is nothing left in the laundry basket. It is the briefest of moments mind you.
- when someone else does all the dishes and even puts them away. This basically never happens but I live in hope.
- videos of otters messing around, just so darn cute.
- watching my children succeed at something they’ve worked hard on.
Things I hate
- Burberry tartan scarves – a tartan the colour of baby poo. Why do so many people want to wear something so ghastly.
- cabbage patch kids – seriously ugly dolls.
- when I walk into doors.
- walking past a draw with a knob and getting the pocket of your shirt or jeans caught on it, so that you get jerked backwards on your way past.
- when I get into bed, get cosy, and then remember I haven’t brushed my teeth.
- any spider ever.
- when you separate 5 out of 6 eggs perfectly from their egg white but manage to stuff up the 6th egg and get yolk in the egg white whilst cracking your last egg.
- our disengaged lifestyles with everyone flicking around on their phones for fulfillment, wasting time, achieving nothing.
- the way Facebook has obliterated the art of meaningful conversation. When was the last time you got an email from a friend telling you what they’d been up to lately.
- when you drop something and bend down to pick it up and it keeps slipping out of your hands repeatedly, taking like 6 attempts before you actually grip it properly.
- that sexist, racist, narcissistic orangutan who, unbelievably, get voted into the top job going in the U.S last year.
- the way the WordPress editor underlines all the words spelt in the correct English/Australian way. There must be a setting to change that surely.
- Whenever anything online needs me to create a password and requires, a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, underscores, antonyms, synonyms, vitamins, and a minimum of 8 characters.
- When people whinge that they can’t get their young children to stop using the adults ipad or phone.
- Anyone who benefits from someone or something else’s misery.